Episode 147: Samuel L. Jackson Beer and a Fat Loss Supp Debate
Get this Week’s Episode:
Kevin Larrabee (Twitter), Dr. Jonathan Fass,
and Leigh Peele
- Anthony Renna Interview about Strengthandconditioningwebinars.com
- Talk to us in the comments
- Voicemails! 978-633-3488
- Jon blogged…
- What up Leigh Peele?
- Hi everyone. Since I found the FitCast last year I have enjoyed every podcast. I especially enjoy the guests you have had on the show.My question is in regards to glute strain. I am 49 years old and have been working out regularly for the last year and half. About 3 weeks ago I started having this pain in my left glute with the what feels like a very tight calf muscle. My doctor has so far ruled out disc issues but feels it may be strained gluts muscle(s). The pain is worst first thing in the morning and eases up after I have been up and moving for a little bit. I have been doing lots of stretching and foam rolling and my doctor has advised me to not do any training for awhile.Would you explain a little bit about this type of injury and suggest what should be done for rehab. Alos what should I be doing to prevent this from happening again?
Thanks and keep up the great podcasts. -Rob
- First off, great show guys, I’m lovin it. So, my question is probably for Leigh as it relates to fiber. It seems to be added into every conceivable food now. Granola bars, tortillas, breads, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start adding it into meat at this rate. My query is whether these foods are ok to eat or should we just stick to good ol’ fruits and veggies?. They are still processed but I’m wondering if getting the extra fiber would be good. Just thought they were kinda interesting. Thanks for any info.
All the best,
- Hey guys,
This question is for Dr. Fass. For several months now, I’ve been having some numbness and/or nerve pain on my right leg/hip. Nearly 100% of the occurrences are while I’m driving, but sometimes it does happen while I’m seated at my desk during my day job. It doesn’t come on while I’m training, except I have noticed a difference in strength/proprioception, i.e. I’m weaker and less stable doing single leg deadlifts on my right leg vs. my left. I’ve been going to the chiropractor for regular ART and also do Zhealth joint mobility and foam roller work on my own (with little improvement). Is there anything else I can try on my own or am I going to have to break down and get an MRI
- (Kevin to Leigh) I was trying to find creatine articles ( long story ) i ran across this article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8929583
caffeine negates creatine’s effects. is it valid?
- Hi, I recently got a bodyfat percentage test at the gym I train at (John Wooden Center at UCLA). In case you were wondering, it’s 10.5% reading.
It was on a bioelectrical impedence measurement system.
I have heard that around single digits bodyfat, the abdominals start to show. I might be a suggestion of definition, but frankly, they are still mostly hidden under my layer of fat.
Are results from this machine reliable? Or should I get calipers done instead?
Thanks, John Conkle
- Do you think that fish oil or flax oil is more important? I’ve read that one is more easily used by some people’s bodies. Also, should flax oil be cold pressed or not? With or without flax particulate? Thanks. -Jon
- Hey Guys,I was wondering what you thought about hoodia. I was looking into getting some, but then thought I would ask you guys about it. If not hoodia, is there any hunger suppressant out there that is safe? I am trying to lose some fat so I have lowered my total calories, but am starving throughout the day. I’ve only dropped to 2,200 kcals, but I am still very hungry. Thanks for any help.-Shane
Interview about Strength and Conditioning Webinars: