The Garage Gym (With Video)
By: Kevin Larrabee, CSCS
Yeah, I get it, you have to drive 30 minutes each way to the facility you train at. Then there is bad weather, holidays when it is closed, and the desire to spend more time with your family (or dog). And yes, I do know, because these last 18 months I have driven 30-60 minutes each way to train at Cressey Performance or recently to when I was working. That is sometimes 10+ hours spent in the car per week not accounting for traffic/weather. These are the reasons that I am writing this blog. To show you my setup at my house that saves me time and money without sacrificing a great training effect.
The location: my garage (aka, my parent’s garage since I live with them…give me a break I am 23 and have car payments…)
- TRX Suspension Trainer ($149 from Fitness Anywhere)
- 4 First Place Kettelbells from Perform Better’s summer sale (8kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg) and a KB buddy (adds 2kg extra weight)
- Valslides (roughly $30 at Perform Better)
- Minibands in 1/2 inch and 1 inch thicknesses.
- Ab roller ($10 on Amazon)
- 12lb TKO Medball ($36 from Amazon)
- iPod nano with some Rise Against on it (and Paramore, got a problem with that?)
Here is a video of the setup.