Top 5 Supplements
Writing a Top 5 article on supplements was one of the easiest articles I have written for the FitCast. I am not a big fan of loads of supplementation as I am of the mind that supplements should be used to enhance, not to replace, a strong balanced diet. Having said that, I still believe that supplements can be very helpful in rounding out a top-notch diet, when used properly. Without further ado, here are my top 5:
1. Protein Powder – I suggest a whey/casein blend. Research clearly shows a blend far surpasses either individually for muscle growth and fat loss. Can be taken anytime, including post training (where it is more effective than just whey). Examples – Black Star Labs Ultra Peptide, Biotest Metabolic Drive, At Large Nutrition Nitrean.
2. Fish Oil – I hardly even consider this a supplement, this should almost universally be in everyone’s diet. Fish oil has benefits too numerous to list here, though its cardiovascular benefits are worth the cost alone. The higher the grade the better. If you want to read more, click HERE. Examples – Biotest Flameout, Nordic Naturals ProOmega, Carlson’s Finest Fish Oil.
3. Greens Product – A great supplement to help us all consume more fruits and veggies. Fruits and veggies today contain fewer nutrients than in years past, so we actually have to consume more to achieve the same results, and products like this can help us overcome that. Examples – Greens+, Biotest Superfood, Green Vibrance.
4. Vitamin D – This is the hot vitamin of the moment as everyone seems to be realizing that nearly all of us are greatly deficient in vitamin D. This is a very cheap supplement that helps provide us with improved bone strength/bone mass, increases in lean muscle gain, improved cardiovascular health, improved blood pressure, improved sense of well-being and improved immune function.
5. Creatine – This is clearly the most studied supplement in the history of supplements. Whether you are an athlete, a weekend warrior, or anybody in between looking for muscular growth or fat loss, creatine can help you reach your goals cheaply, safely and effectively. Get a high quality micronized or Creapure® creatine monohydrate. You don’t need anything fancy.
In the end, use supplements judiciously and wisely. They are not going to make or break your progress, so buy only the ones you like, can afford, and have proven positive benefits.