Top 5: Trader Joe’s Products
By: Kevin Larrabee, CSCS
Why I Shop at Trader Joe’s
Last week I was reminded by podcast listener and online client Tim that I never wrote that Trader Joe’s Top 5 article that was promised months ago. Well, here it is. I talk about Trader Joe’s on the FitCast, a lot. I do about 80% of my grocery shopping there every week. I recommend all of my clients do the majority of their shopping there as well? Why? Because they have the highest quality organic products around at very competitive prices.
Every time I go to Trader Joe’s there are a few select products that I always seem to be picking up. These range from frozen vegetables, to meat products, to green tea, to eggs and egg whites, to peanut butter, and sometimes the occasional peanut butter filled pretzels. Now without further ado, here is my top 5.
1. 96% Lean Hamburger Patties : I am a huge fan of these 96% lean burgers because they are quick and easy to prepare and they taste great! Trader Joe’s does all of the work for you by packing the meat, separating them, and weighing them to make counting calories even easier. I will eat two of these a day, everyday. Who says you can only eat chick breasts on a low calorie diet? They are also pretty cheap, $4.50 for a 4-pack.
2. 50% Salted Almonds: The 50% salted almonds are the perfect balance for those who need some quick fuel on the run. I haven’t found better tasting almonds since discovering these while in California. I always keep a bag of these in my gym bag for when I need to keep hunger at bay in between clients.They are priced at $4.69
3. Low-Fat Cheese: Who doesn’t like string cheese? Again, this is another great item that is easy to grab on the go for some quick protein.Also the shredded 3 cheese blend works perfectly in your morning omelets.
4. Egg Whites: Again, another purchase to make life easier. These past few weeks I have been eating mostly egg whites for breakfast. having the egg whites all ready separated in a carton makes dieting a little less stressful.
5. Bottled Green Tea: I drink at least one of these a day. Having chilled green tea helps me keep energy up between and while training clients. On my non-training days (no Spike days) I usually have two bottles. One client has recommended mixing the tea with seltzer water as well and squirting in a lemon.