Yoga: So I am Taking a Class on Sunday
By: Kevin Larrabee, CSCS
Yoga…Well…Yoga is… OK, I will admit, I am not a huge fan of yoga. It isn’t because I don’t think it is a good form of exercise because I do. It is defiantly better than nothing. It isn’t because I don’t want to have “better sex” (see picture to left). It isn’t because I think it is exclusively for women.
I am not a big fan of yoga because people taking the classes could may hurt themselves by:
- Becoming more mobile in the lumbar spine (which will most likely lead to low back issues)
- Hip flexors becoming too mobile: Many men won’t have a problem with this but Eric Cressey’s article on Yoga points out that, “In consideration of the fact that the majority of those doing yoga and Pilates are female, this is an even bigger issue; women tend to carry their weight too far forward already, and they already have a tendency toward anterior pelvic tilt and lumbar hyperextension.” Check out the article here.
- Not gaining lean body mass, strength or increasing bone density by doing load bearing movements (I am looking at you 40 and older women) to prevent osteoporosis.
- Thinking that exercising in a 90 degree room will make them “burn fat” faster
Nonetheless, I will be taking a yoga class on Sunday before recording The FitCast. There are two reasons why I am doing this.
- I want to become more flexible in my lower body including my hips
- I can’t bash something I haven’t personally tried, otherwise I am an ignorant bastard
I will be coming in with my full impressions on this week’s show. Wish me luck.
And for the record, I will do yoga, pilates, Tracy Anderson’s complete DVD series, jazzercise…anything with Moon Bloodgood. If you haven’t do so already, check out Journeyman